Friday, January 14, 2011

November 21, 2010.....

Do you know what you were doing on November 21, 2010? I do! It was the day my life changed forever. No, I did not get married or have a baby... I found out I had Leukemia...



This Sunday started out like any other Sunday. We woke up to get ready for Church, but I was coughing really bad. I decided to take some cough medicine and lay back down instead of interrupting Church. I slept for a couple hours and thought I was feeling better so I got up and decided to take a shower. I can remember getting in the shower and starting to wash my hair. I remember the water running down onto my hair and I began to feel sick. I told my husband Keith that I felt like I was about to pass out. He got up from the bed and before he could get to the bathroom I passed out right there.



He called 911 and I came to. I remember waking up and he was sitting next to me on the phone. I was able to get myself up and get to the bed. My daughter, Satin was home at the time (My son, Jonathan had spent the night with my brothers Kevin and Chris). She helped Keith find me some clothes and they helped me get dressed. I can remember wanting my Mom. (as many of you reading this blog know the Mom that raised and adopted me passed away in September, but this time I wanted my Biological Mom). Keith called her and she beat the ambulance to my house. The ambulance arrived and they checked me out. My BP was 124 over 76 and my blood sugar was 146 (a little higher than normal because i had drank a glass of orange juice). The EMT's said I seemed fine and there was no reason to go the hospital. But Keith and my Mom insisted that I go anyways. (Thank Goodness). Upon arrival to the hospital they did blood work and a ct scan of my lungs. No blood clot YAY... But the ER doctor said that my white blood count was elevated and that he believed I had a Leukemia or Lymphoma.



My heart sank right then.. I just lost Nana to Cancer and I lost my Pop to cancer also 18 years ago) How could this happen to me???? I was never the SICK one I never needed to go to the Dr.. What was I going to do? My kids had been through so much with Nana... How were they gonna handle it? Things had just started to look up for Keith and me and now BOOM! Right back down......



My first reaction was fear, then it moved quickly to fear. Pretty quickly (I would say with in minutes) I was ready to fight! I have way too much to live for! I serve a God who is in the healing business.. I told Keith immediately that God would never put more on us than we could handle and he said my shoulders are getting weak... I assured him that this was just another stepping stone in our Journey of life and we would get through it! God did not bring us to it to leave us, but He brought us to it and He will bring us through it!



Keiths reaction at first was to cry. I told him I cant cry I have to fight and I needed him to fight with me. I decided right then we couldn't tell the kids until they were out of school for Thanksgiving. My mom said she would stay with me for as long as I needed her to. I kissed Keith bye and I was admitted to the hospital that day and stayed there for 31 days.. My next posts will take us through the 31 days...



So this begins my journey with Leukemia!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful job, my sister! Fight the good Fight!:) God is in on your side and if He is for you then certainly, Leukemia has no chance! We walk by faith and not by sight...You are doing well and I am proud of you! Thanks for inspiring me with your faith...I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Steph! You did an amazing job of articulating your thoughts, feelings and reactions. I love you! Keep up the fight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I am so honored to be your very first follower! :)

    ReplyDelete